Coachella is a popular 3 day music festival in Palm Springs consisting of 100 degree weather and an endless amount of walking, dancing and boozing, leaving your body in dire need of hydration. So how did I survive this year's Coachella extraveganza you ask? Coconut water!
Did you know?
- Coconut water is loaded with pure and natural electrolytes making it a healthier option when compared to sports drinks, which are loaded with sugar and artificial colors.
- Think cracking a fresh coconut is too much trouble? You can now get coconut water in cans and small cartons at grocery stores, but check the ingredients to make sure you're getting the pure stuff, without added sugar and other ingredients.
- Coconut water is not only low in calories, but it’s low in fat and doesn’t have nearly the amount of sugar that most juices do.
How to crack a coconut:
- Buy a whole coconut at the store or forage one of your own!
- Poke out the soft hole on the end (one of the three divots is soft), and drain out the pure juice.
- Then, break out the hammer and smash it open.
- Wedge a straight edge screwdriver (hopefully a clean one) between the white meat and shell and you’ve got a fantastic snack
Fortunately the organizers of Coachella have caught on to this trend and sell fresh cut coconuts for all those drunkards looking to avoid a hangover!