If you haven't had the pleasure of trying this European power breakfast, I encourage you to drop everything you're doing and jump on a flight to Switzerland right now. Or, if you're like me, you can just follow the recipe below and enjoy this deliciously creamy breakfast in the comfort of your own home.
What makes this dish different than your standard morning oatmeal is the step of soaking the oats overnight in milk and serving the muesli cold with fruits and honey. Filled with nutritional value like fiber and essential vitamins (I know, I know - I' sound like a cereal commercial right now), this dish will keep you full and satisfied all day long.
It's no wonder this dish was featured in Whole Living's newest cookbook, Power Foods.
- 1/2 c old fashioned oats
- 1/4c almonds (halved)
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/4c vanilla yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4c strawberries (sliced)
- 1 apple (diced)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss oats and almonds on an ungreased baking dish and toast in oven for 10 minutes till golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Place oats and almond mixture in a bowl. Add milk and combine.
- Cover bowl and store in fridge overnight.
- Just before eating, mix in the yogurt, honey (for extra sweetness), fresh or dried fruits. Serve cold and enjoy.
Toast the oats and almonds in the oven to add an extra boost of flavor.
Soak the oats in milk to help break down the starches. Be sure to use old fashioned oats (versus quick cooking oats) for optimum vitamins and fiber.
Combine and allow to chill overnight in the fridge.
Stir in a number of fruits and honey to your liking. Serve cold and devour!